Judge Henry T. Woods was born in Washington, DC in 1945. His parents are the late John Oates Woods and the late Margaret W. Woods.
He attended the public schools in Rock Hill, South Carolina. He received his bachelor's degree from the Citadel in 1967, and was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the USAR after graduation. Judge Woods attended the USC School of Law from 1967-1970 receiving his juris doctorate degree in 1970.
He served active duty at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Maryland and returned to Rock H ill in 1971 to join his father's law firm which had been established in April 194 7. The firm was renamed Woods and Woods and Judge Woods remained a partner until his election to the bench. He served as president of the York County Bar Association, President of the Public Defender Corporation of York County and is a member of the York County Bar and SC Bar Association. He was also a member and chairman of the York County Rural Fire Commission and the Rock Hill Economic Development Corporation. He was appointed by the Governor to serve as a member of The York County Natural Gas Authority.
He was elected by the South Carolina General Assembly to Seat #2 Family Court for the 16th Judicial Circuit in February of 1999 where he currently serves.
A lifelong resident of Rock Hill Judge Woods was elected to the Rock Hill City Council in 1982 and served until 1994. He also served as Director and past President of the Rock Hill Arts Council. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club where he has served as Director.
Judge Woods is a member and deacon of the Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church where he has attended since 1947. An active alumni of The Citadel, he is a life time member of the Association of Citadel Alumni. He has been a director and executive committee member of the Association as well as past President of the Brigadier Foundation. He is married to former Gale Yvonne Teaster of Pacolet, SC. They have numerous "adoptive children" who are former students at Winthrop University and The Citadel, five cats, and three birds.